You may be shocked to hear this, but the IRS is not infallible. And that goes double for their automated computer programs which might have you saying, “My child received a $1200 stimulus check, was that supposed to happen?” They are now occasionally sending out $1200 stimulus checks to dependent children, which is not correct. We have heard from you in several such instances. These checks are in error and, unfortunately, must be returned. According to IRS instructions, here are the steps that should be taken.
If your refund was a paper Treasury check and hasn’t been cashed:
- Write “Void” in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
- Submit the check immediately, but no later than 21 days, to the appropriate IRS location listed below. The location is based on the city (possibly abbreviated) on the bottom text line in front of the words TAX REFUND on your refund check.
- Don’t staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
- Include a note stating “Return of erroneous refund check” and give a brief explanation of the reason for returning the refund check.
IRS mailing addresses based on the city (possibly abbreviated) located on the bottom text line in front of the words TAX REFUND on your refund check:
- ANDOVER – Internal Revenue Service, 310 Lowell Street, Andover MA 01810
- ATLANTA – Internal Revenue Service, 4800 Buford Highway, Chamblee GA 30341
- AUSTIN – Internal Revenue Service, 3651 South Interregional Highway 35, Austin TX 78741
- BRKHAVN – Internal Revenue Service, 5000 Corporate Ct., Holtsville NY 11742
- CNCNATI – Internal Revenue Service, 201 West Rivercenter Blvd., Covington KY 41011
- FRESNO – Internal Revenue Service, 5045 East Butler Avenue, Fresno CA 93727
- KANS CY – Internal Revenue Service, 333 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City MO 64108-4302
- MEMPHIS – Internal Revenue Service, 5333 Getwell Road, Memphis TN 38118
- OGDEN – Internal Revenue Service, 1973 Rulon White Blvd., Ogden UT 84201
- PHILA – Internal Revenue Service, 2970 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104
If the check has been cashed or direct deposited, check here for more information: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc161